10.02.2005

Ireland - 10/2 (+10/3 flight back) - shopping

(I had one more day to capture ... almost 2 months later isn't bad right?)

Sunday morning got started pretty late as Saturday night was a late one. I grabbed a quick breakfast at a bagel shop (bagels aren't as good as NY ... LOL) and then a coffee ... and then it was off to shopping. I spent the morning shuffling to and fro looking for gifts for family members. It was a bit of overload since it's hard to get stuff for people who don't "need" stuff.

Before I had done much actual purchasing, I figured it was time to have some lunch. Now admittedly, I'm not the biggest fish and chips fan, but Leo Burdock's was recommended as one of the oldest and best "chippers" in Dublin. I took that under advisement and decided to give it a try. When I walked in I almost bumped into myself. This store is VERY small ... it's what is commonly referred to in Ireland as a "take away". Just enough space for someone to order and look at the menu, pay, and leave. There were two people ahead of me ... one had just finished ordering about 20 fish and chip combo's ... WHOA! The next person ordered cod and chips ... and that sounded great to me ... they wrapped it up in paper and I was off to sit at the Christchurch Cathedral to eat. It was WAY too much food for one person. A HUGE piece of fish with a deliciously crispy shell doused with just enough malt vinegar to enhance the flavor. The fish was sitting on a bed of fried potatoes ... nach ... chips and I also had the nice helper to kick in a little of the "crispy bits" which are the fried floaties left over from the cooking of the fish.

After lunch it was a bit more shopping -- to actually make some final purchases -- and after that I met Brian at the Intel building to drop off my car, which by then was loaded with plenty of junk.

After the drop off we drove into "town" and decided to have Indian food for dinner. No ... not fry bread ... curries and dahls ... the spicy stuff from Asia. We tried a nice little place called Taste of India. The food was fantasic, and an incredible deal to boot. The proprietor was very accommodating allowing us to eat from the early bird menu even though we traipsed in a few minutes late.

After dinner it was back to the hotel for a night of packing and getting some rest for the LOOOOONG flight home.

I woke up Monday morning ... Brian picked me up ... and we were off for a day of crapping around in the Dublin and Chicago O'Hare airports. Ugh ... long flights and longer lay overs are just not part and parcel for a happy Greg. Luckily I made it home with no ill effects other than a slight case of jet lag.

No comments: